CSS Sculptor 3: Don’t Bother!

Posted on this Wednesday, September 23, 2009 09:30 by caw
Filed Under Technology | 6 Comments

I don’t, as a rule, write negative reviews. Sometimes a company does something that merits a "that was dumb" comment but as I said, I generally don’t slam products – except for Microsoft of course!

That is about to change.

Web Assist, a maker of extensions for Adobe Dreamweaver, has recently released Eric Meyer’s CSS Sculptor 3 for the bargain price of $99.99. If you were unlucky enough to purchase CSS Sculptor 2, the upgrade price is a mere $49.99. Save your money ’cause it isn’t worth it!

I originally bought  CSS Sculptor because I wanted something that would generate the bulk of the CSS code for me. I wanted to focus more on content and less on presentation. While I like Dreamweaver CS4 (love is too strong a term but it is miles ahead of Dreamweaver CS3), its CSS interface isn’t the most intuitive.

The Sculptor 2 interface is not user friendly in the least. Maybe it would be if you thought like Eric Meyer but it appears I don’t. When Web Assist announced Sculptor 3, I figured things must have gotten better. Wrong. It started with a common error message that looked like this:

(This is from Vista but it was the same text on the Mac.) After digging for a while through their support database, I found an answer. I had to hunt down a cache file in my system and delete it. Then re-install Sculptor 3, start Dreamweaver, re-enter the license code and activate it, and then I was able to start playing around.

I shan’t bore you with all the details of my agonies. Because I was still in the 15 day window (bought it the September 18th) I asked for a refund. The lady at Web Assist told me I could only get a refund if

So I gave her a list (edited here – I thought of a couple of things after I sent it).

One other annoyance: when I uninstalled Sculptor 3, I now get the following message every time I start Dreamweaver CS4:

BTW, don’t bother with the 800 number – they don’t seem to answer the phones!

My recommendation: don’t waste your money on CSS Sculptor 3.

Comments

6 Responses to “CSS Sculptor 3: Don’t Bother!”

1. John G. on February 25th, 2011 19:48

I have to agree with your comments on CSS Sculptor, especially the attitude that WebAssist seems to have (ie. forget about any actual support or customer relations).

I’d be interested in knowing if you ever found an alternative app for it?

2. caw on February 26th, 2011 08:30

No, I haven’t, but to be fair I haven’t been looking either. I have CS5 and Dreamweaver has made improvements in it’s CSS generation, especially with their HTML5 plug in.

As far as WebAssist goes, I file them in the Junk mail. I am truly surprised Eric Myers would lend his name to them.

3. John on March 2nd, 2011 20:40

I have been using CSS Sculpter since version 2, and have upgraded to version 3. On windows XP with 4 GB RAM and CS4, it is SLOW and does crash from time to time, but not often. But, it does work for the most part and found it to be quiet useful.

On windows 7 with 16 GB RAM and CS5 it zips along fine, hasn’t crashed yet and is a pleasure to use.

Overall, I have to say the product has saved me a lot of time and enabled me to make some pretty nice web sites.

All the best.

4. Lon Winters on June 6th, 2011 07:17

I agree that CSS Sculptor has it’s flaws, but overall I think it’s an excellent product. I used it to learn CSS and still use it to create my basic layouts from Photoshop designs. I think that’s where IRS most useful, because if you rely strictly on their preset layouts and designs, you’ll end up with a pretty bland site. But it’s very useful in creating the div structure of the page and while patty at times, still faster than using Dreamweaver or hand coding.

5. Jamie on April 13th, 2012 13:40

I have to say I agree, I have been using webassist super suite for some time now and fair enough it has saved me allot of time but at the same time I have lost count as to how many times I have had to un-install and re-install (which tends to take an entire day to do so!).
    Actually this has been a nightmare with the plug-ins, one Min they work the next they spit out errors and there we go again re-install day.
    Support is useless and dysfunctional the forum doesn’t even allow you to login half the time and hell, they don’t even use their own tools/code on their own site.
    Now if that doesn’t say everything then well I don’t know.
    But anyway, I was just looking at some updates to see if by chance there were any plans for HTML5 & CSS3 for their site sculptor, which even today years after launch there are none.
    I guess it wont be long till they die and fade away.

6. Cindy on July 29th, 2013 17:33

I’ve had the same experience with colors not saving and error codes. I finally demanded a refund for 3 and then 2 wouldn’t work either! The idea is great and a timesaver WHEN IT WORKS. Otherwise you just beat your head against the wall when you could be coding.